Wednesday, November 12, 2014

The last time.....

A year ago I met my aunt Tammy at Skyline Chili for lunch.  It was the day before her open heart surgery...a surgery that I thought was routine.  She wanted to see the kids and I before she went into the hospital.  Luckily I was still on maternity leave and I was able to take time out of my day to have lunch.

We talked about trivial things and made plans for Thanksgiving.  Tammy and Scott always hosted Thanksgiving, and she was hopeful that she would be out of the hospital for this special holiday.  We took pictures from her phone of her and the kids.  Why didn't we ask the waitress to take a picture of the four of us?  I really didn't think that this would be the last opportunity to take pictures with Tammy.  I didn't realize that this would be the last lunch out, or even the last real conversation that I would have with her.
Tammy and the kids at Skyline Chili, the day before her surgery.

There is not a day that goes by that I do not think about Tammy.  I think this is ironic because I know that when she was alive I did not have these daily thoughts of her.  Did I take advantage of this relationship I had with her?  I don't think so....but I never thought the relationship would be cut short so soon.

When I talk about my aunt passing away, I am sure people have an image of an older lady.  But Tammy was not old.  She may have been hard of hearing and you had to repeat yourselves several times or look directly at her when you were talking.  But she was young and loved life.  My aunt was only 55 years old when she was taken from our family.  Much too young!!!

A lot has happened since Tammy has passed away...

Kamden turned 5 years old, started Kindergarten, and lost his first tooth.

Kadence turned one, is eating real food, walking, and learning to talk.  She loves to give kisses and hugs...maybe she gets that from Tammy.

I turned 40 and had laser eye surgery so that now I have 20-20 vision.  I also had a baseline test done to make sure I was not at risk for heart issues....It came back with 0%!

Grandma has decided to sell her home of over 60 years and moved into a condo.  She is also very depressed....I am sure part of her depression is because she misses her baby girl.  I can't imagine.  I just try to step up to plate and call her daily to check in with her (something that Tammy did every day)...Unfortunately, I am not always at good at that as Tammy.

Scott appears to be doing well.  He will always be a part of our family, and we will continue to take care of him as Tammy asked.  I see him light up when he is around the kids.  Tammy was so proud of Kamden and Kadence, and he is sad that she is missing out of seeing them grow up.  He makes sure he is there for their birthday celebrations and to play pool with Kamden like Tammy used to.

I miss you, Tammy!  We all miss you!  But I am sure you are cheering on the Buckeyes and having a beer with Grandpa!

No comments:

Post a Comment